, , , , , ,

It’s all about timing…

I woke up this morning to the sun shining into my room.  The weather forecast had promised rain all day so I pulled myself out of bed in hopes of catching the sun while it was still out.  Unfortunately, I was still trying to shake myself out of slumber when the clouds were already moving in.  By the time I had finished a quick breakfast (mandatory as per N…trust me, she’s lectured me so many times about not eating breakfast before I run), the rain had already started and was coming down in full force.

It (again) crossed my mind that I could just as easily stay in the warmth and comforts of home on such a miserably wet day.  To add to the challenges against my determination, my tummy was also feeling queasy.  The last time I ran with a queasy stomach, I almost passed out at the track and had to stop after 4 laps.  Luckily my mom was there with me and I somehow dragged my sorry self home.  BUT, today I was determined not to let some sudden rain and the one bad experience get in my way.  Besides, I ran in the rain on Friday and I was fine.

Without further delay (and before I wimped out), I changed into my running gear, pulled on a ball cap and off I went.  I wanted to reduce the chances of catching another chill either going to or coming back from the track so I decided to run to and from the track.  On my way to the track, I considered the options of taking breaks between laps or just running non-stop.  As the rain continued to pound down, walking breaks between laps didn’t seem very appealing and I continued to run.  Somewhere along the way, I forgot about my queasy stomach and focused on counting the number of laps.  By the time I got home, I completed a total of 4.6 km in 35 minutes…. and it was still raining.

I washed up, ate lunch and settled in for a relaxing and rainy afternoon at home.  By mid-afternoon, the rain had stopped and the skies were clearing up.  Not only did I see patches of blue skies but there was also sunshine!  Imagine that, sunshine before I get up and after my run…. but rain while running!!  Should I have waited for the sunshine?  Or is this some way of testing my determination and rewarding me with sunshine afterwards?  Oh well…

After a wet and chilly morning, I was craving hot pot but didn’t want to go out to eat.  Instead, I flipped through my food photos and found some pictures from last October when Vince and I met up for dinner.  We were both craving hot pot but didn’t feel like going to our usual Top Gun Hot Pot.  I saw a Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot in Burnaby months before and suggested trying it out.  I had been to the Richmond location years ago and remembered that the soup base was a flavourful Chinese herbal soup.

Even with a reservation, we still had to wait for our table.  When we were finally seated, it didn’t take us long to mark up our order form.

IMG_1983IMG_1981  IMG_1984

IMG_1985 IMG_1986 IMG_1987 IMG_1988

We ordered the Chef Special Meaty Bone soup base and it was very flavourful.  I had a few bowls of soup even before eating the cooked contents.  There was extra charges for seafood so we opted not to order those items.  There was plenty of other choices that seafood was not necessary.  In fact, Vince feasted on the meats while I feasted on dumplings and watercress (and more soup).   The only thing that I didn’t really like was having to go out and get my sauce from the cart.  The set up at the Richmond location (sauce station) is better.

Overall, for $25/person ($20 per person charge + $5 soup base), we had a great meal.

Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot on Urbanspoon